Movember- Men’s Health Awareness Month
Typically men elect to celebrate No-shave November, where they get an entire month off from trimming their facial hair, but did you know that you are also dedicating an entire month to raising awareness about men’s health? Movember is a foundation and movement that attributes November to raise awareness of men’s physical and mental health to support those tackling prostate cancer, testicular cancer, and negative mental health. Greenville Health Care, your local urgent care Greenville NC understands the importance of recognizing and gaining awareness of men’s organ and mental health and we are here to explain more about the month-long campaign and what it stands for.
The Movember Foundation has been working to raise awareness for these serious issues by putting a fun twist on such a dark topic, for years. Using a mustache as their logo, the foundation is bringing about a change through an easy bodily production and giving men the opportunity to learn and talk freely about their health and the confidence to take precautionary measures when needed. While men can face just as many health issues as women, their reactions to health-related issues is typically quite different. The reason for the largely poor state of men’s health include but are not limited to:
- Lack of awareness of the health issues millions of men face
- Lack of communication about the health issues that millions of men face
- Relictancy to take measures when their physical or mental state is depleting
- Engaging in risky behavior and activities that can detriment their health
- Stigmas around having mental health issues and talking about them as men
- The percentage of men who are less likely to visit a doctor than women is nearly 25%
While all of these reasons for men’s health awareness to be so low, it is no surprise that an entire month is dedicated to informing others about the risks of being ignorant. The Movember Foundation encourages men to be aware of their family history of cancer and to adopt a healthier lifestyle. Such lifestyle alterations can include:
- Speaking with loved ones about how you are feeling, whether you have had a bad day or a month of bad days, talking about it is the first step.
- Receiving annual check-ups at your local walk in Greenville NC, Greenville Health Care
- If a lump or any other abnormal bodily function continuously occurs, visit the closest urgent care Greenville NC, such as Greenville Health Care
- Making a point to get out and moving with friends or family members. Not getting enough exercise directly correlates with higher levels of stress.
- Including your friends, family, and co-workers in your Movember celebrations and encourage them to learn about the campaign.
- Visit Movember.com to learn more about how you can participate in the campaign’s activities and events.
By encouraging men of all ages to get involved, Movember aims to increase early cancer detection, diagnosis, and treatment. By doing this they ultimately will reduce the number of preventable deaths in men with cancer and mental health complications. Greenville Health Care encourages you to celebrate Movember by raising awareness, joining in on the mustache challenge, talking and spending quality time with your loved ones, and keeping your health in line with annual visits to your doctor to reduce the number of preventable deaths and mental health complications in men as well. In the case of an emergency, Greenville Health Care’s urgent care Greenville NC and walk in Greenville NC will be there to help you every step of the way.
Greenville Health Care, Urgent Care Greenville NC
Greenville Health Care is a Family Practice and walk in Greenville NC Medical Clinic dedicated to serving the citizens of Greenville and surrounding counties with excellent, timely, and compassionate patient care. Contact us today!